01 Feb 10 Things To Do On Vacation In Sandpoint In The Winter
Sandpoint and the surrounding areas are truly an outdoors man’s paradise. Sandpoint has four very distinct seasons and each season has a unique draw of its own. Winter is no exception. With snow in abundance from mid December through February and sometimes beyond, there is never a shortage of snow sports activities in which to take part. To help you plan your winter activities in Sandpoint, here is a list of our picks for the top ten things to do in Sandpoint on your winter vacation.
- Stay in a cabin or room in the log lodge at Western Pleasure Guest Ranch, go on a horse drawn sleigh ride through the magical winter wonderland, and snowshoe or cross country ski through the foothills of the Cabinet Mountain Range.
- Take a snowmobile tour through the back country of Schweitzer Mountain in the Selkirk Mountain Range with the Selkirk Powder Company. Take a partial day tour or a full day tour which takes you to the other side of the mountain range to Priest River, Idaho.
- Try out a Fatbike from Greasy Fingers Bikes n Repair. What is a Fatbike? A Fatbike is a bicycle with oversized tires designed for riding off-road, particularly on soft terrain such as snow or sand.
- Cross country ski the many groomed nordic trails in the Sandpoint area. Visit the Sandpoint Nordic Club website to find trails to explore.
- For a true north Idaho back country adventure, strap on your snowshoes and hike to the top of Scotchman’s Peak. For trail maps and trail updates, visit the Friends of Scotchman Peak website.
- Ski Schweitzer Mountain Ski Resort. With 92 trails and 9 lifts, there is no shortage of terrain to explore in this section of the Rocky Mountains. If your not quite up to taking on the whole mountain, head over to Hermit’s Hollow Tubing Center for some mountain tubing fun.
- Join in the festivities of the Sandpoint Winter Carnival. Each year, Sandpoint celebrates the activities of winter in the Panhandle of Idaho. During the day you an participate in or spectate at, a host of outdoor activities from the mountains to downtown Sandpoint. In the evenings, kick back in one of the many fine Sandpoint restaurants and enjoy live music every night of the week. The dates for the 2017 Winter Carnival are February 14-26.
- Ride the chair lift to the Sky House at the summit of Schweitzer Mountain. Buy a $20 foot passenger lift ticket and elevate your perspective then enjoy a meal in one of two different restaurants in the Sky House.
- Go fishing with Go Fish! Charters. The 43 mile long 1152 feet deep Lake Pend Oreille and the Clark Fork and Pack Rivers that feed it make for a variety of amazing fishing opportunities.
- Attend the Winter Wildlands Alliance Back Country Film Festival usually held in the beginning of December. During this annual fundraising event attendees are treated to a series of award winning films shown throughout the nation and even internationally!